Friday, March 15, 2013

Never sell the good stuff.

I spent quite some time mulling over the perfect pair of shoes to bring to Vietnam.  I wanted something functional enough to handle both the dirty crowded streets of HCMC and sandy shores of the coast.  I also wanted a pair that looked great with shorts, but also smart enough to wear with pants in case we went out somewhere nice at night.  The shoes should also be leather due to it's breathability and natural antimicrobial properties.  Canvas will get disgusting after multiple days of wear since my feet sweat profusely.  One pair to do it all.   I finally decided that I wanted to take boat shoes.  

I remember back in Texas I used to own a pair of Sperry Top-Siders purchased from Gilt for like $50.  They were velcro instead of laced (good for breezing through airport security), had red accent stitching, and were super comfortable with or without socks.  I also remember selling them to a thrift clothing store when I moved up here during a closet purge.  Mistake, these would be the PERFECT pair to bring along if I still had them.  Finding another pair of these would be a long shot since they were super unique and out of production, but to my surprise after a few quick internet searches I found a pair on ebay.  Exact model, in my size.  Located in Seattle, WA.  

WTF.  These are the shoes I sold 2 years ago.

Screen Shot 2013-03-15 at 4.20.45 PM

It seems that someone else had made my trash their treasure, and the universe has now returned the favor back to me.  This is a ridiculously mind-bending coincidence in timing by both parties.  Ebay listings are finite.  So is the window where I go out looking for shoes I used to own for an upcoming vacation.  I swiftly purchase the shoes and don't even bat an eye at the $10 shipping fee even though I probably live 2 miles away from the seller.  This is a miracle.

upload
Evidence #1 that these used to belong to me, the smell is still familiar.



Untitled

Evidence #2, soles marked with some form of possible thrift-store identification.


If you love something, set it free.....forget about that.  If you love something make sure you keep that shit so you don't pay for it twice.


No comments:

Post a Comment